If you haven’t jumped on this bandwagon yet, now is the perfect time! Tressa from Wishful Endings and I are hosting a read-along for And I Darken by Kiersten White during the next two weeks!
Scroll down for Kiersten White’s Top Ten Random Facts about And I Darken and enter the giveaway to win an ARC!
Tag me on Instagram: @batchofbooks
Tag Tressa on Instagram: @wishfulendings
Tag me on Twitter: @denabooks
Tag Tressa on Twitter: @tressherm
Top Ten Random Facts Behind And I Darken by Kiersten White
1. I owe a debt to students everywhere who publish random master’s theses online, allowing me to benefit from their research into obscure topics like 15th century Ottoman fashion.
2. I didn’t know Transylvania was a real place until I started dating a cute boy who had just come back from living there. We’re married now, AND I’ve been to Transylvania. Wins all around.
3. Many of the characters in And I Darken are based entirely on actual historical figures. But I make readers go on a research binge to find out who is based in history and who is totally made up.
4. I can always tell in an audience which teens will raise their hands when I say, “Who knows who Vlad the Impaler was?”
5. Vlad the Impaler was also known as Vlad Dracul. If that seems familiar, it’s because he’s the alleged inspiration behind Dracula. Yeah, that Dracula. But historical Vlad was way worse and way more interesting.
6. When asked why I chose to gender-swap a notoriously violent 15th century prince of a relatively obscure country, I answer with the obvious: impaling is the next big trend in YA literature, and I wanted to be first.
7. I sometimes lose track of what is actual history versus what I made up. It gets really confusing telling people about the relationships between Vlad, Radu, and Mehmed. “She—I mean he—I mean…”
8. I answered an interview question recently with how much I’d love to visit Constantinople. I do, in fact, know it’s Istanbul. But again: living with too much history in my head.
9. I am now the girl everyone—EVERYONE—sends that link to a news article about how “Dracula’s Real Life Castle Is for Sale.” A) I’ve been there. B) It wasn’t ever his. C) It’s not really for sale. But instead of turning into a WELL, ACTUALLY girl, I…no, I totally well, actually them.
10. I sometimes worry my natural tone in interviews and guest posts is so out of touch with historical fiction that people will be really confused about whether or not they want to read my book. You do. I promise.
And I hope you love it as much as I love Transylvania and the boy who introduced it to me.
Read Along with Us! (Schedule)
July 22: Start Reading (four chapters per day)
July 29: Mid-Point, Chapters 1-28
August 5th: Wrap-Up, Chapters 29-55
Snag a Copy of the Book
Amazon | Goodreads | Barnes & Noble | Kobo
Random House is giving away an ARC to TWO lucky winners! Get your entries in because you don’t want to miss out on this!
Two winners will receive an ARC of And I Darken
Open to US addresses only
Ends August 5, 2016
Use the Rafflecopter to enter. Entrants must be 18 or older or have their parent/guardian enter for them. Winners will be chosen randomly. Winners must respond to my email within 48 hours or a new winner will be chosen. This contest is void where prohibited by law.
Sign up for my weekly-ish newsletter to stay up to date on new giveaways, author interviews, reviews, and other awesomeness! Sign up now.