Stacking the Shelves #40: Meet My New Books!

Book Roundup, Stacking the Shelves
Stacking the Shelves | batchofbooks.com

Welcome to Stacking the Shelves, hosted by Tynga’s Reviews.  This is where I share the new books I’ve gotten recently.

I haven’t done a Stacking the Shelves post in ages! I can’t wait to show off some of my new acquisitions. You’re going to love what I have to show you. New books from Jerry Spinelli, Avi, National Geographic Kids, and H.P. Lovecraft, among others.

I’ve actually received more books than this, but I feel like this list is huge already. I’ll share the other books I got in the next STS post. Most of these showed up in my mailbox unsolicited, with a few exceptions.

Stacking the Shelves | batchofbooks.com

Picture Books

Plenty of Love to Go Around by Emma Chichester Clark
The Cats of Ulthar by H.P. Lovecraft and Abigail Larson
Drat that Fat Cat! by Julia Patton

It’s cats and dogs in this collection of picture books. A big thank you goes out to Penguin Random House, One Peace Books, and The Bright Agency.

My kids and I have already read these gems several times over. I can’t wait to share our thoughts on them!

Chapter Books

The Two and Only Kelly Twins by Johanna Hurwitz
Double or Nothing with the Two and Only Kelly Twins by Johanna Hurwitz

Thank you to Blue Slip Media and Candlewick Publishing for sending me copies of the two Kelly Twins books! My six-year-old and I started reading the first book and she’s loving it. We’re excited to see what kind of adventures these twins go on.

Middle-Grade Books

The Unexpected Life of Oliver Cromwell Pitts by Avi
The Warden’s Daughter by Jerry Spinelli
Henry and the Chalk Dragon by Jennifer Trafton
Clara Humble and the Not-So-Super-Powers by Anna Humphrey
Anton and Cecil: Cats Aloft by Lisa Martin and Valerie Martin

Thank you to Algonquin Young Readers, Penguin Random House, Owlkids Books, and Blue Slip Media and Rabbit Room Books for these gems! Middle-grade is one of my favorite age groups to read and I can’t wait to dive into these.

My kids are also starting to get into middle-grade novels, so we’ll be reading lots of these together.

Young Adult Books

Just Fly Away by Andrew McCarthy
Textrovert by Lindsey Summers
Lost Girls by Merrie Destefano

I looooove a good YA novel! I can’t wait to jump into these stories. Textrovert sounds really cute and fun, while Just Fly Away sounds heartwrenching. I don’t know much about Lost Girls, but at first glance, it’s sounding like a young adult thriller/mystery/twisty/I-don’t-know-what-to-expect. For that reason alone, I’m chomping at the bit (page?) to start reading it.

Thank you to Algonquin Young Readers, KCP Loft, and Entangled Teen for sending me these ARCs.

Adult Books

The Witch of Lime Street: Seance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World by David Jaher
The Wonder by Emma Donaghue

Every now and again I read a book intended for people my own age. Shocker, I know. I already read The Wonder, which I got with my Book of the Month Club membership.

Wow! What a story.

I’m reading The Witch of Lime Street right now. It’s pretty long, so I might have to break it up with some of the YA books mentioned above, but it’s very interesting. I love books about history, places, and events that captivated our nation or the world. Thank you to Penguin Random House for sending me this one!

What new books have you gotten recently? Leave me a comment so I can visit your blog!

Stay in the Loop!
Sign up for my weekly-ish newsletter to stay up to date on new giveaways, author interviews, reviews, and other awesomeness! Sign up now.

Previous Story
Next Story

34 Comments

KidBookReviewer
    December 16, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Sound like great books! This past week, we’ve gotten The Ugly Teapot by Fred Holmes (fantasy novel based off Aladdin’s Lamp myth) and The Keeper of Portals (fantasy time-jump novel) by VS Nelson (review copies). And for the holidays, we’ve started getting some books from family, like Ski Spy School by Stuart Gibbs. We’re super excited to start reading all of these books :).

December 17, 2016 at 11:38 am

Those sound like a lot of fun! The Ugly Teapot sounds like something Miss K and I would like reading together. Happy reading and enjoy the holidays!

Grace (@princessgrace10)
    December 17, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Awesome haul of books. I see quite a lot of different genres in your haul. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. As to your question for what types of pencils, I use a lot of different mediums, I use prismacolor colored pencils, Faber Castell Polychromos, Gel Pens, Staedler Fineliners, on certain projects, use inktense pencils, watercolor pencils, so it depends on what I’m doing. I hope that helps you.

Grace

December 17, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Thanks, Grace! I use Prismacolors and Gel Pens too. I haven’t tried the other mediums you mentioned, but now I will!

Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews
    December 17, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Very nice haul, Dena! Especially ‘Lost Girls’ really appeal to me 🙂 I hope you’ll enjoy all your new books!
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.

December 17, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Lexxie! Lost Girls sounds pretty good. I’m hoping it lives up to my expectations. 🙂

Bob Milne
    December 17, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Nice. The Houdini book sounds interesting, and Emma Donaghue is always a good read.

December 17, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Thanks Bob! I’m enjoying the Houdini book so far. I really like books about history, so it was a natural choice for me. The Wonder was my first Emma Donaghue book. Have you read other books by her?

betwixt-these-pages
    December 17, 2016 at 7:15 pm

You had such an awesome week in books, Dena! Here’s hoping you enjoy ALL your newest bookish acquisitions, and have such a great time reading with your kids!

Also, thank you so much for stopping by my blog earlier today–much appreciated! Have a great rest of your weekend!

December 19, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Thanks, Beth! I’m definitely enjoying the ones I’ve read so far. Here’s hoping that the rest as just as good!

Have a great day!

Aj @ Read All The Things!
    December 17, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I hope you enjoy your new books! I want to read The Wonder soon. So many books, so little time.

December 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Thanks Aj! The Wonder was a very interesting book. It’s been about a month since I read it and I still can’t decide what I think about it. I hope you get the chance to read it.

Alyssa Susanna (The Eater of Books!)
    December 18, 2016 at 12:45 am

Wow! Such a great mix of books! I take pride in reading across many genres and age levels – but you definitely put me to shame! It looks like you’ve got a lot of good reading ahead of you. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a great weekend. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

December 19, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Alyssa! I definitely have a wide range of interests when it comes to reading. I know you do, too. That’s why I love your blog so much. 🙂

chucklesthescot
    December 18, 2016 at 4:52 am

Hope you enjoy all your books! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

December 19, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Thanks! I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve read so far, so I have high hopes for the rest. 🙂

Melliane
    December 18, 2016 at 6:50 am

That’s nice. Many different books there! Happy reading!

Vi @ Gone With The Books
    December 18, 2016 at 9:34 am

Wow! That is one great haul you´ve got there. I don´t know any of those authors or books, but at first sight I like the cover of Lost Girls by Merrie Destefano best. Happy reading to you and have a great last week before Christmas 🙂

Best wishes
    Vi @ Gone With The Books

December 19, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Thanks Vi! I’m really looking forward to Lost Girls. It has an awesome cover. Hopefully the book lives up to it. 😉

Happy reading and Merry Christmas to you, too!

Rachel Troyer
    December 18, 2016 at 9:55 am

Awesome haul! 🙂

thebrightspark
    December 18, 2016 at 10:29 am

Looks like quite the stack! Hope you enjoy them.

Natalie @Natflix&Books
    December 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Fantastic haul! I’m looking forward to reading both Textrovert and The Lost Girls. Hope you alove them all. Happy reading!

December 19, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Thanks Natalie! I read Textrovert yesterday and really liked it. I’m hoping Lost Girls will be as good as the cover promises. 🙂

Greg Hill
    December 18, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Textrovert does sound fun but I’m especially intrigued by Lost Girls. And that one is new to me. Adding that to my TBR, thanks for sharing it! Looks like some nice middle grades too.

December 19, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I just read Textrovert yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a lighter YA read. Lost Girls sounds good though, doesn’t it? I hope you get the chance to read it. You’ll have to let me know what you think of it if you do. 🙂

irena_bookdustmagic
    December 21, 2016 at 9:39 am

Ohh, this middle grade Cat’s Aloft looks funny!
    You added quite good stock of books to your pile.
    I hope you’ll enjoy all of them! 🙂

December 21, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Thanks! I really liked the first two books in the Anton & Cecil series, so I’m hoping that Cats Aloft will be just as good. Thanks for stopping by!

Olivia-Savannah
    December 27, 2016 at 4:43 am

All of these sound like some exciting new books to have in your possession! Especially the one by Emma Donoghue! I hope you enjoy reading them all 🙂

December 28, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Thanks! The Wonder was a good book, but I can’t decide what to think about it. It’s a book that I keep coming back to and thinking about. It was interesting, that’s for sure.