Wonder Woman at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee
Age Range: 8 – 12 years | Grade Level: 3 – 7 | Series: Dc Super Hero Girls | Hardcover: 240 pages | Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers (March 1, 2016)
About Wonder Woman at Super Hero High:
This groundbreaking new middle grade series follows DC Comics’ most iconic female Super Heroes and Super-Villains . . . as high schoolers. At Super Hero High, the galaxy’s most powerful teens nurture their powers and master the fundamentals of what it means to be a hero.
Find the Book:
Amazon | Goodreads | Barnes & Noble | Kobo
About the Author:
Lisa Yee has studied detective work, written canned-food labels, and scripted television specials. She also owns the second-largest collection of Winnie-the-Pooh memorabilia in the U.S.
My Thoughts on Wonder Woman at Super Hero High:
My girls have been dying to get their hands on this book ever since I showed them the cover several months ago. Saying yes to a review copy was a no-brainer. My kids love superheroes and Wonder Woman is a favorite in our house. Miss K even dressed up as WW for Halloween. If you’ve seen the hype around this new series and are wondering if it’s right for your child, here are some things to keep in mind.
Keep in Mind:
1. This is a novel, not a graphic novel. It’s all words with no pictures.
2. Wonder Woman is portrayed as sweet but clueless.
3. It’s very similar to Pokemon, Ever After High, and Monster High.
Good to Know:
1. It’s well written. Lisa Yee did a good job writing the book and making it engaging.
2. My kids loved it. Since they’re the intended audience, that’s a huge plus.
3. Wonder Woman is strong, optimistic, and always positive. She always thinks the best of people, stands up for truth, and works her hardest to serve society.
As with most books that are developed in-house, Wonder Woman at Super Hero High has it’s drawbacks. But for a book aimed at tween and younger teen girls, it’s spot on. If you were hoping for a novel about Wonder Woman with crossover appeal for adults, I would wait for the young adult version that will be coming out next year from Leigh Bardugo. But if you have a tween or younger teen that likes Wonder Woman, this is perfect.
Source: I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.
Sign up for my weekly-ish newsletter to stay up to date on new giveaways, author interviews, reviews, and other awesomeness! Sign up now.