halloween skull shirts for girls

For the Love of Children’s Classics: A Bear Called Paddington

Uncategorized

Do you ever feel like you missed out on certain books when you were a kid?  A Bear Called Paddington is a book I would have loved as a child, but didn’t read until a couple weeks ago.

I read it to my kids at bedtime, and while they both enjoyed it, I found that my seven year old got much more out of it than my five year old. They got out their plastic tea set and had a tea party every night while I read it to them.

While Paddington proves to be a humorous and delightful tale for children, the pace is often slow and the comprehension level is for kids a little older than mine are.  They had a great time laughing at Paddington’s antics, however. They especially liked the beginning when the Browns first find Paddington, his attempt at taking a bath, and his birthday party when he does a bunch of disappearing tricks.

For my part, I found it charming. I’ve always loved classic stories and this was no exception. I think kids that are a little older will appreciate it more (age 9+), but it’s a great addition to any child’s library.

Content: clean

Source: Bought

4 STARS

About the Book:

• Age Range: 8 – 12 years
  • Grade Level: 3 – 7
  • Hardcover: 176 pages
  • Publisher: HarperCollins (July 22, 2014)

Synopsis:

Paddington Bear had traveled all the way from Peru when the Browns first met him in Paddington Station. Since then, their lives have never been quite the same . . . for ordinary things become extraordinary when a bear called Paddington is involved.

First published in 1958, A Bear Called Paddington is the first novel by Michael Bond, chronicling the adventures of this lovable bear. Paddington has charmed readers for generations with his earnest good intentions and humorous misadventures. This brand-new paper-over-board edition of the classic novel contains the original text by Michael Bond and illustrations by Peggy Fortnum.

Previous Story
Next Story

10 Comments

Catherine Friess
    April 1, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I read most of the Paddington stories as a child but haven't seen the film yet. One of my most prized possessions is a Paddington picture book signed by author Michael Bond.

Alex Baugh
    April 1, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I've never read the Paddington stories but I have seen his statue in Paddington Station. I will have to get a copy and read it finally,

Rebecca Douglass
    April 2, 2015 at 5:05 am

I read all the books as a child. I squirmed a bit between liking them and being uncomfortable with all the mistakes he made. That probably says more about me than about the books! (I was very uncomfortable with The Cat in the Hat, too).

reviewkidsbooks@gmail.com
      April 2, 2015 at 11:55 pm

My mom refused to read The Cat in the Hat to my brothers and I when we were little. It's funny to meet someone else that has the same opinion she does!

Adriana Garcia
    April 4, 2015 at 2:55 am

I never knew about Paddington growing up. The movie version doesn't look like something I would like because it uses a lot of gross humor. Is the book like that as well?

Resh
    April 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm

We did the audio Cd on Paddington bear and fell in love with the book. The movie version isn't the same of course, but we are hooked! Will be reading more from the series now Thanks for joining us on KLBH this week.

Melody Silverleaf
    April 7, 2015 at 3:07 am

Paddington is timeless like that other "silly old bear." Love reading about Paddington. Thank you for the extra details.

Tiffiny
    April 8, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I've never read Paddington. I'm glad I read your review because just looking at the pictures (and the title) makes me think it is for younger kids, but I'll hold off getting it for my daughter until she's older. Stopping by from the Kid Lit Blog Hop.