Whew! What a trip.
I can’t believe I finally made it here. It took almost a week to drive from California to North Carolina. We had a few set backs when it came to buying our house, but in the end, we got the papers signed and our stuff moved in.
We got to see lots of the country on the way over here. It was a lot of fun to see so many states that I’ve never been to before. Nashville, Tennessee was probably my favorite stop along the way. I’m a big country music fan and so that was a lot of fun to go there.
I did a LOT of reading on the trip, so now I need to get all my reviews posted! I’m sorry if you’ve tried to email me in the past couple of weeks. I have not been very responsive, but I’m ready to get back on the saddle. Things are still pretty crazy for me. My daughter is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks, and I’m a nervous wreck. I am also still unpacking, so if you email me and I don’t get back to you right away, please be patient. I’m working on it. 🙂
Just in case you are curious to know how I feel about the move, I made a nice list of the things I love and don’t love about each state.
Things I miss:
- The sunshine (SO MUCH SUNSHINE!)
- My friends (sniff, sniff)
- My writing group (more sniffs)
- The weather (everyday was sunny and 80 degrees!)
- The library (my second home)
Things I don’t miss:
- The traffic (my GPS used to ask me if I wanted to switch to Pedestrian Mode while I was driving on the freeway)
- Cost of housing ($2500/month for a gross apartment? not anymore!)
- Living in an apartment
- Renting (I love owning our own place)
- Crazy drivers (almost died every time I left the apartment)
- Gangs at elementary schools (not even joking on this one)
Things I love:
- Our yard (real grass that I don’t have to drive to)
- The trees (we live by the woods!)
- Living in a neighborhood instead of a complex
- Wildlife (we have deer!)
- Green (It’s SO GREEN here)
- The people (everyone has been really friendly and welcoming)
- Great schools
Things I don’t love:
- Giant cockroaches (yuck and double yuck)
- Lack of sunshine 🙁
- Humidity (I am NOT used to this humidity! I hope I acclimate soon)